Civil Engineering Technician I
|Title:||Civil Engineering Technician I|
Civil Engineering Technician I is an entry-level position for graduates of Engineering Technology and related 4-year degree programs. The position involves performing tasks associated with the design of high voltage electric power lines. The Civil Engineering Technician 1 position includes providing support of design activities in both office and field environments. The individual is expected to develop skills necessary to design overhead and underground line facilities under the direction of a professional engineer. This is an office based position, but short duration travel to project sites is routine. Assignments to specific project locations may be required, where necessary, to assist with engineering and/or construction related tasks.
A Bachelor of Engineering (or Construction) Technology, or a 4-year degree in a non-engineering field with the ability perform the technical functions of this position.
This position requires completion of a college or technical school program. The program should be technology based, or include course work sufficient to develop the required technical skills. The following list of basic skills are necessary for this position.
- Experience using MS Office programs. Word and Excel programs are commonly used. Microsoft Project is used for scheduling and planning functions.
- Good Math Skills, particularly in Algebra, Geometry, and Trigonometry
- Experience or familiarity with CAD design - AutoCad and Microstation are used
- Basic knowledge of electrical and/or civil design processes
- Basic knowledge of civil/structural codes
- Basic knowledge of statics and mechanics
- Good organizational skills which include development of work plans, preparing and maintaining schedules, tracking progress, and preparing status reports
- Flexibility to work on an individual project as well as on team projects
- Good communication skills, both oral and written
- Experience or familiarity with current surveying techniques and practices
Duties & Responsibilities
The following items are typical of Civil Engineering Technician I duties and responsibilities.
- Create material estimates and bills-of-material
- Review detail drawings for accuracy
- Develop loading tables for engineered structures
- Perform calculations to determine span limitations of pre-designed structures
- Gather, interpret, and apply field survey data in design process
- Perform required field duties, i.e. information gathering
- Provide engineering support during construction
- Develop design skills to utilize line design software
- Learn and understand internal processes and procedures
- Develop an understanding of all applicable codes used for line design
Dashiell is a leading national provider of technical services to the electric utility, power generation, industrial, renewable and energy industries. These services include planning and systems studies, design and engineering, maintenance and testing, program management, construction, and turnkey EPC projects. Built on 50 years of experience handling large scale complex projects; Dashiell is unique in that we are a turnkey Engineering, Construction, and Testing company that specializes in medium and high voltage electrical infrastructure. More information about Dashiell can be found at www.dashiell.com
Must be at least 18 years of age and legally authorized to work in the United States on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship. No third party recruiters please.
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications