|Title:||Field Services Technician I|
is a consulting engineering firm providing Substation and Transmission Line Engineering, as well as field services such as commissioning, testing and construction project management, to electric utilities nationwide.
Headquartered in Madison, Wisconsin, with branch offices in Maple Grove, MN and Marlborough (Boston), MA. Realtime is currently searching for motivated individuals, who have the desire to grow professionally, and contribute to the continued successes of our company. If you offer innovative thinking, resourcefulness, and are motivated to address and conquer every day, real-world challenges, please apply online.
We are currently seeking a Field Services Technician I based out of our Madison, WI office. The position will perform electrical testing, maintenance and start-ups of high voltage substations. Assignments are closely supervised and designed to further develop employee job knowledge and abilities.
- Perform electrical testing services on power apparatus, substations, and switchgear included (but not limited to) the following:
- Protective relays and relaying systems
- Circuit breakers
- Power transformers
- Current and potential transformers
- Meters, transducers, and power system metering
- Power Cables
- Grounding Systems
- Motors and Motor Starters
- Station Batteries and Chargers
- Alarm Systems and Annunciators
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Perform troubleshooting and problem identification and analysis. Make recommendations regarding corrective action and/or repairs
- Generate technical reports detailing services provided, problems found, and corrective action taken or recommended
- Represent the company in a professional manner with regard to communicating and interfacing with clients
- Communicate effectively with the company management team on a regular basis regarding project status and the scheduling of manpower and equipment
- Make safety a top priority at all times, realizing that the company has Zero Tolerance for those who do otherwise
- Other duties as required
Associates or Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering Technology, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent is required. Technician experience in the high voltage industry will be accepted in lieu of degree. Minimum 2 plus years of experience in the high voltage industry is preferred.
Possess skills in the following areas:
- Demonstrated knowledge of The Power Triangle
- Ability to understand the basics of one-line, three-line, AC/DC schemes, and connection diagrams
- Demonstrate a solid understanding of the purpose of a current transformer and a potential transformer
- Ability to perform basic current transformer tests
- Ability to define typical AC & DC fundamentals
- Working knowledge of IEEE, ANSI, ICEA, and NETA standards
- Basic knowledge of various metering configurations and connections
- Proven knowledge of Vacuum versus Air Circuit Breakers
- Ability to understand the basic function and operation of an oil circuit breaker and a Gas Circuit Breaker
- Ability to understand the basics of a Potential Transformer (PT), Coupling Capacitor Voltage Transformer (CCVT), and a Current Transformer (CT)
- Understand the major components of a power transformer
- Basic knowledge of motor ratings and motor testing as applied to rotating machinery
- Proven knowledge of a capacitor bank and the different capacitor types
- Basic knowledge of electrical components, devices, and symbols
- Proven communication skills, both oral and written, to convey thoughts, and facts to a diverse group of individuals including administrators, engineers, and senior management
- Demonstrated knowledge of the various functions and difference between protective relay types
- Understand the purpose of primary and secondary phasing
- Ability to work effectively in a team based environment
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Ability to work safely in hazardous situations within high voltage substations, petrochemical plants, refineries, and other safety critical locations
- Must have a valid driver’s license with clean driving record
- Ability to travel up to 50% required
- Flexibility for frequent overtime
- Candidate must pass a Background and Drug Screening (required)
Candidates will be placed in the appropriate job title based on education, years of experience and industry knowledge.
RUE offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including health, dental, vision, 401(k) with immediate vesting, life and disability insurance, flexible spending plan, health savings account with company contribution, employee assistance plan and more.
Must be at least 18 years of age and legally authorized to work in the United States on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.